Monday, January 1, 2007

Spirits of the Rainforest: up river without a paddle







The pathways we humans have explored to gain knowledge of the Divine may be innumerable. We spend our lives among shadows, groping as if we are blind toward the truth, beauty and happiness we desire.

I recall the eyes of the old man shone softly across the embers of the fire, they were a visionary’s eyes. This elder who looked at me had been a seeker. Master of his acts, owner of the arcane languages used by the spirits that filled the forest with awareness, in his hands he held magical powers, which he explained with simple elegance and without affection.

I listened quietly, swaying in a palm fiber hammock, embracing the warm night air filled with the jungle's icaros.

The Ayahuasca experience , for me, required abandoning many of my most comfortable and habitual patterns in my life.

Most journeys that held lessons for my growth were not blissful ones but the terrifying ones, for there amidst the spirits I learned to face my fears.

No comments: